The Taptic Time feature gives people who are blind or visually impaired another way to tell time without anyone else hearing it.
When it’s in silent mode, Apple Watch can tap out the time on your wrist with a series of distinct taps. Do the following:
- Open the Settings app on your Apple Watch.
- Tap Clock, scroll up, then tap Taptic Time.
- Turn on Taptic Time, then choose a setting—Digits, Terse, or Morse Code. Hours and minutes are indicated in the following ways:
- Digits: Apple Watch long taps for every 10 hours, short taps for each following hour, long taps for every 10 minutes, then short taps for each following minute.
- Terse: Apple Watch long taps for every five hours, short taps for the remaining hours, then long taps for each quarter hour.
- Morse Code: Apple Watch taps each digit of the time in Morse code.
- To feel a haptic version of the time, touch and hold two fingers on the watch face.
You can also configure Taptic Time on iPhone. Open the Apple Watch app on iPhone, tap My Watch, go to Clock > Taptic Time, then turn it on.
Note: Taptic Time is disabled if Apple Watch is set to always speak the time. To be able to use Taptic Time, first go to Settings > Clock, then turn on Control With Silent Mode under Speak Time.