- Getting Started
- Mobile Devices
- Insignio App Tool
- Communication & AAC
- Getting Started: iPads for Special Needs Book
- Insignio App Tool
- Get Involved
- Local Meetings
IEP & iPad Pilot Program – Parents
BridgingApps has created a pilot program to test a service for matching applications or “apps” to IEPs of children who have special needs. We are looking for 5 families who have a child with a current IEP to participate in phase 2 of this pilot program. The goal of this pilot is to investigate whether offering an IEP app matching service using the iPad will be a helpful tool enabling parents to help their children with special needs progress towards reaching IEP goals.
IEP & iPad Pilot Program Status:
o Phase 1 of the pilot program concluded on January 9, 2012.
o Phase 2 of the pilot program concluded on February 29, 2012.
We are currently not accepting applications for a pilot program at this time.
We at BridgingApps express our deepest gratitude to the families who have shared their stories, hopes and dreams for their children with us. The heroic efforts of parents described in these applications demonstrate unwavering commitment, tireless work and belief in their children’s ability to achieve–making the selection process challenging.
Criteria for participating in pilot:
- Child must be of school age (K-12) and have a current IEP
- Participant must currently own an iPad
Who will implement pilot–An experienced teacher of special education, iPad consultant, and an Assistive Technology practitioner will implement this pilot.
Participants commit to:
- Participate in two 30 minute phone conversations
- Cover the costs of apps recommended by BridgingApps
- Trial the recommended apps with the child who has an IEP within a 30 day period
- Provide feedback to BridgingApps in the form of a short written survey within 7 days of second phone conversation.
BridgingApps commits to:
- Provide a recommended list of apps related to 5 IEP goals, (roughly 2 apps per goal)
- Conduct two 30 minute confidential phone calls
- Refine app list following second phone conversation
How it works:
Step 1.Interested families will apply to participate in the pilot program using a short, online intake survey. Within 7 business days, families will be notified by email whether they have been selected to participate in the pilot. If a family has applied and has not been selected, their information will be kept on a waiting list.
Step 2.Once a family has been selected, BridgingApps will arrange for a mutually convenient time to conduct the first 30 minute conversation by phone. The purpose of this first phone call is to discuss the initial intake survey, gather additional information about the child’s IEP, academic environment at school, current skill level and abilities, and goals the parent/caregiver wishes to work on.
Step 3.Within a 7 day period, BridgingApps will provide a list of 10 apps, or 2 apps per IEP goal to the parent/caregiver with instructions by email. The parent/caregiver will purchase the apps, download them onto the iPad and begin to trial the apps with the child. BridgingApps will recommend apps that are reasonably priced. (Exception: If a child could benefit from an AAC app, these can range anywhere from free to $200, but can be discussed prior to purchase.) BridgingApps will be available by email during this trial period to answer specific questions and provide support. See example below:
Step 4.At the end of the 30 day period, BridgingApps will arrange for a mutually convenient time to conduct the second 30 minute conversation by phone. The purpose of this second phone call is to discuss the experience of trialling the recommended apps, whether they were helpful, which skills saw improvement, etc. At this time, BridgingApps may recommend additional apps or make suggestions about how to maximize the benefit of the initial app list.
Step 5.Following this second phone call, participants will receive a survey by email that must be completed within 7 days.
Overview of Process
- Complete intake form
- Notification of selection for IEP Pilot Program
- Phone call for 30 minutes
- App list created and sent by email
- Follow-up 30 minute phone call after trialling apps for 30 days
- BridgingApps will revise list, if needed, and email revised app list
- Short exit survey sent to be completed by family
To apply to be considered for this pilot program, please click on the following link and fill out the form. We are currently not accepting applications for a pilot program at this time.